Negotiation Skills 1-day workshop
Date: 9am – 5pm Wednesday, April 11th 2018
Cost: €195 member / €250 non-member – with Skillnets funding applied
The ability to work effectively with different individuals is a core skill. This program is designed to enable the participants to develop and fine tune skills and behaviours that helps them influence people in different situations and to negotiate effectively. From analysing the influence you have to adapting your style to get the best result in different situations, this program explores each individuals unique style and skill set when negotiating.
This course looks at ways to gain “buy-in” from others. Participants will explore ways to improve their effectiveness by developing an awareness of their individual styles and how to develop this style to maximise the potential from relationships with others.
At the end of this program, participants will:
- Understand their own style when persuading/influencing others.
- Understand differences in others.
- Learn how to deal with conflict and to negotiate effectively.
- Develop their communication skills when dealing with others.
- Be assertive in trying to achieving their goals.
- Use positive influence effectively to meet objectives and maintain or build working relationships.
- Develop a flexible influencing style to meet a variety of negotiating situations
- Plan for and demonstrate the application of negotiation skills.
- Expand and use personal influence in daily work situations.
- Build your repertoire of influencing skills to communicate more clearly and calmly under pressure.
- Achieve win-win outcomes through effective influence skills.
Core Content to include: (This has been integrated into the schedule below)
- Characteristics of an effective negotiator, how they work and tips to effective influencing.
- Range of negotiating styles/behaviours for different workplace scenarios.
- Ability to know your audience and influence the right way, Ability to deliver the correct message to the correct people.
- Timing of communicating – when to communicate and what tools are available.
- Knowing the motive or “modus operandi” of the stakeholders/people and how they will take the message.
- Setting the foundation stones of establishing relationships, credibility and the basics of influencing power and how to use the best approach at the critical decision making point.
- How to influence in a manner that is honest and not sneaky.
- Reading people’s reaction through body language or finding out what makes a person tick.
- Communication within a multinational, multicultural environment.
- Differences between influence, persuasion, power and manipulation when negotiating.
Approach and Methodology
This program is highly interactive balancing discussions and theoretical inputs with practical skills and tools that individuals can use on a day to day basis.
The experience is designed to be an enjoyable, positive and challenging experience for the participants.
It is also designed to be highly practical and focused so that the individuals can build a relevant skill set for their appropriate role.
- Introductions / Program Outline / Entry and Contracting
- Negotiation and the characteristics of Effective Influencers
- Influencing style questionnaire/Understanding the range of Skills and styles
- Share bargaining negotiation exercise (Interactive Task)
Tea/Coffee- Review/Analysis of style
- Power, Influence and the art of negotiation
- Understand the relationship between both variables and maximising your power
- Leadership with/without authority
- Influencing and Credibility – Perception of Knowledge and Strength of the relationship
- Delighting in differences – Communication styles /Different audiences and how to influence the differences
- Body language and the impact on Influencing.
- Conflict/Assertiveness and dealing with challenging behaviour
- Action Planning/Individual reflection/Close
Testimonials Fintan Ryan Interactive Solutions
“I have used Fintan several times over the last 13 years in a number of roles for Team Training and also as a Personal Coach. Fintan has a fantastic way of understanding what you are trying to achieve and delivering this in a way that maximises its impact. I would have no hesitation in using Fintan in the future and in recommending to anyone.” Finance Director, Irish Life.
“Fintan’s ability at facilitating true team building is second to none. His wit and humour combined with his knowledge and flexible approach set him apart from others within the industry.” HR Manager, Tata Steel Distribution UK & Ireland
“We first had the privilege of meeting Fintan when our company, FDM, went on a residential programme in Ireland; Fintan was pivotal in making the whole experience memorable and valuable. We have subsequently worked with Fintan and his company, I would recommend him highly.” Sales Director, FDM, UK
“Fintan acted as facilitator at our annual Sales Conference in Oxford during August. The group comprised members of the senior management team and key sales people. Fintan provided excellent direction for the strategic planning sessions throughout. I have no hesitation in recommending Fintan and have in fact used him on a number of occasions since.” Head of Marketing, Generali International