DATES: Thursday October 10th and Thursday October 24th
Day One: Theory and Practice / Day Two: Using Microsoft PowerPoint
LOCATION: To be confirmed - based on demand
COST: €295 member; €355 non member (Skillnet funding applied)
This course combines the perfect balance of theory with practical presentation techniques along with the use of MS PowerPoint over 2 days resulting in a comprehensive training course giving participants the skills required to deliver effective presentations in a clear, concise and confident manner.
This course will help the participant understand presentation techniques and how to effectively use various visual aids including PowerPoint. A practical hands-on approach is taken, allowing participants to practice and deliver their presentations a number of times throughout the 2 days. Two of these sessions will be recorded and feedback will be offered. In addition to theory and practical presentation techniques, participants will also learn to use MS PowerPoint effectively - Learn the "do's" and "don'ts" of using PowerPoint as a presentation tool ensuring that MS PowerPoint enhances and does not distract from the presentation!!
- Understand the importance of knowing your audience
- Plan an effective presentation
- Beginning and ending a presentation successfully
- Be familiar with a strong presentation structure
- Getting the audience's attention and keeping it
- Overcome nerves
- Establishing audience buy-in and build your credibility
- Spice the presentation using visuals, audience participation etc.
- Properly using your eyes, hands, voice and stance
- Handling Q&A
- Creating a PowerPoint presentation to enhance your presentation
- Dos and Don’ts of PowerPoint
- Delivering an on-screen slide show(Custom Animation etc.)
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Anyone who would like to deliver clear, concise and engaging presentations whilst making the most of MS PowerPoint.
Participants should have basic computer skills, e.g. should be familiar with the use of other computer applications such as MS Word.
Please choose a topic that you would like to deliver your presentation on prior to the training course.
When choosing your topic, bear in mind that initially you will build your presentation around your chosen topic and deliver it at the end of day one.
On day two, you will design a PowerPoint presentation to enhance the presentation you created on day one, and again will deliver the presentation a second time at the end of day two (this time utilising MS PowerPoint).
The duration of your presentation will be approximately 10 minutes.
Day One: Presentation Skills -Theory and Practice
- Introduction to Presentation Skills / Communication
- The Role of the Presenter
- Listening Skills
- Recall and Retention
STAGE ONE - PREPARING THE PRESENTATION
- Set Realistic Objectives
- Know your audience
- Gathering Presentation Content –Mind Mapping
- Work on Content –The “IT Method”
- Enhancing Content
- Presentation Format / Structure
Practical – Define Objectives, gather content and structure and enhance your presentation
STAGE TWO - PREPARING YOURSELF
- Face the Fear
- Manage your environment
- Avoid Techno-Terrors
- Some practical advice
Practical–Deliver your presentation on a 1-1 basis (Run-through)
STAGE THREE - DELIVERING THE PRESENTATION
- What has the most impact?
- Body Language& Eye Contact
- Using your voice
- Handling Q & A Sessions
- Dealing with Difficult Audiences
- Delivery habits to avoid
Practical – Deliver the presentation. This will be recorded and written feedback will be given from all participants. Individual participants will have time to evaluate their own performance privately with feedback from the instructor.
Day Two: Presentation Skills -Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Basics
- Working Text Slide Layouts
- Text placeholders
- The title slide
- Creating a new slide
- The bulleted list slide layout
- Working with multiple levels of bullets
- Switching between slides
- Moving & resizing placeholders / objects
Formatting the Presentation
- Formatting text
- Formatting Objects / Placeholders
- Copying formats
- Changing the background colour of a slide(s)
- Working with the slide master
- Creating a Header / Footer
- Applying a standard design template
- Working with SmartArt & Images
- Changing Format & Layout
- Working with logos and images
- Working with WordArt
Working with Charts
- Creating Charts
- Formatting chart elements
- Changing the chart type
- Working with the chart toolbar
- Editing a chart
- Creating an organisation chart
- Adding levels to an organisation chart
- Editing an organisation chart
- Working with drawing tools
- Aligning & Distributing Objects
- Grouping / ungrouping objects
Adding the Finishing Touches
- Working in slide sorter view
- Creating notes pages
- Getting images from the Internet
- Adding Screen Shots to your presentation
Creating a Slide Show
- Applying Transitions/ Slide Timings
- Working with custom animation
- Running the slide show
- Options available when running a show
Other Presentation Output
- Printing slides
- Printing handouts
- Printing notes page
On the afternoon of the second day, participants will be given the opportunity to put their new/enhanced PowerPoint skills into practice by designing a PowerPoint Slide show to enhance the presentation that was created on day one.
Design a PowerPoint presentation to enhance the presentation. 1-1 assistance will be available with any specific queries that participants might have.
Final Practical–Deliver the presentation using MS PowerPoint as a Visual Aid to enhance the presentation. This presentation will also be recorded and will be given to each participant (USB) on completion of the course.
Training Provider: eBridge e-bridge.ie