Dr Deasún Ó Conchúir from Scatterwork began the webinar by explaining that the learning paths through Globalisation and Digital Transformation for dispersed projects remain challenging, because of countless cultural and operational differences which emerge among those implementing them.
Although extreme for “virtual projects”, nearly all projects today have dispersed teams and this leads to an exponential increase in communication complexity, which increases the risks to delivery he added.
Dr Zorana Boltić further explained that regardless of project methodology used, that the PMBOK® Guide offered good guidance especially with its focus on stakeholder groups. Stakeholders vary widely but identifying them must be the first step that management of a new project should do. “By definition, all project communication is with stakeholders” she added. Similarly the range of action we wish stakeholders to undertake is varied and must be quantified.
Adding to the complexity Dr Deasún further discussed the role of international and disparate teams and the range of political, geographical to cultural parameters that can stifle the effectiveness of a project.
In looking at cultural diversity he advised the webinar attendees utilised the Hofstede, 6 Dimensions of National Culture covering.
- Power Distance Index (PDI)
- Individualism Versus Collectivism (IDV)
- Masculinity Versus Femininity (MAS)
- Uncertainty Avoidance Index (UAI)
- Long Term Orientation Versus Short Term Normative Orientation (LTO)
- Indulgence Versus Restraint (IVR)
Both speakers shared their learnings from recent projects that ran into difficulty because they had not dedicated enough resources to stakeholder management.
Dr Deasún finished his presentation with his top take away tips including:
- Check Diversity Parameters for Stakeholders, self and national cultures
- Communicate cost impact
- Identify all Stakeholders
- Review requirements regularly with the Stakeholders
- Summarise your project with a single flip chart (share by photo + telecon)
See below for the full presentation powerpoint.Desaun-webinar_ICBE-11