Law Society Certificate in Aviation Leasing and FinanceBack to Training
- Date: 28 Sep - 7 Dec 2023
- Time: 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Certificate in Aviation Leasing and Finance - Law Society
Start Date: Thursday 28 September 2023 at 6:00pm
Funded cost: €1,380 (full cost before funding €1,725)
For more information or to register: to go https://www.lawsociety.ie/productdetails?pid=2740
For details of eligibility for funding : Contact email@example.com .
On completion of this training programme, participants will be able to:
- Analyse the key legal issues pertaining to the sale and lease of aircraft;
- Assess the finance structures involved, how to finance an aviation transaction, and funding available;
- Explain the key regulatory issues pertaining to aviation;
- Discuss the legal issues relating to key aviation matters such as engines, maintenance reserves, security, taxation, insurance, records, and repossession; and
- Recognise the key legal and financial documents and structures in aviation leasing and finance transactions.
Ireland is internationally recognised as the global hub for aviation leasing and finance, with 14 of the top 15 global aircraft lessors enjoying a presence here. More than 60% of the world’s fleet of leased aircraft is owned, leased, or managed in Ireland. The major industry players have been attracted by Ireland’s stable political regime, membership of the EU, favourable time zone, and talented workforce – not to mention our legal and regulatory advantages. In addition, Ireland’s network of over 70 double tax treaties, combined with the absence of withholding tax on aircraft lease rentals and a corporate tax rate of 12.5%, makes Ireland a commercially attractive place to set up and run an aircraft leasing company. The aviation sector was hard hit during the Covid-19 pandemic but it is making a recovery.
This certificate provides comprehensive coverage of the key aspects of the aviation leasing and finance industry. It aims to deliver an in-depth analysis of the core legal and practical issues that parties typically encounter in aircraft leasing and finance transactions. It will address the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and how the industry has changed as a result.
Participants will gain an overview of the key legal, financial, and technical issues, as well as an understanding of the broader regulation, tax, and insurance aspects relevant to aircraft leasing and finance. The teaching faculty for this diploma comprises a fantastic array of world-renowned legal practitioners from Ireland, the UK, and the USA, along with leading aviation industry specialists.
This certificate also functions as a preparatory course for those intending to take the Diploma in Aviation Leasing and Finance but who do not meet the entry requirements.
The programme is based on the following module scheme and covers key themes as listed below:
Module 1: Aviation Industry
- Profile of the Irish aviation industry,
- Development of industry,
- Reasons why Ireland is an aviation hub,
- Overview of tax and regulatory advantages.
Module 2: Aircraft leasing
- Types of aircraft leases,
- Key issues for lessors and lessees,
- Lease structures,
- Pre-lease investigation and structuring,
- Aircraft operating lease agreement,
- Main lease terms.
Module 3: Aviation financing
- Types of finance and security,
- Debt and structured finance,
- Use of Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs),
- Mortgages, guarantees, charges, assignments,
- Structure and finance key documents.
Module 4: Key technical issues
- Aircraft delivery,
- Lease management,
- Maintenance reserve management,
- Maintenance claims,
- Lease transitions,
- Engine leasing – maintenance, records, security.
Module 5: Regulatory environment
- Role of Irish Aviation Authority,
- International regulation,
- The Chicago Convention, ICAO, IATA,
- The Cape Town Convention,
- European Aviation Safety Agency Regulations,
- EU Emissions Trading Scheme.
Module 6: Taxation and Aviation
- Importance of Irish tax residence,
- Depreciation, capital allowances,
- Double taxation treaties,
- Access to 12.5% rate,
- Withholding tax.
Module 7: Insurance and Aviation
- Relevant insurance principles,
- Airline aviation insurances,
- Lease insurance provisions,
- Lessor considerations,
- Claims management.
Module 8: Career Panel event
The careers panel offers participants an opportunity to get expert advice from industry professionals about gaining entry to the aviation industry or how to successfully move sectors within the industry. This event will take place online.
Workshops are interactive sessions that focus on group problem-solving and are designed to revise all modules covered to date and to consolidate the participant’s knowledge.
- Workshop 1: Thursday 26 October 2023
- Workshop 2: Thursday 7 December 2023
- Career panel event: Thursday 7 December 2023
2,500-word written assignment and short multiple choice quiz.
This course is suitable for the following:
- Solicitors, barristers, and trainees who advise aviation clients or who wish to join the aviation sector,
- Professionals working in the aviation industry who wish to expand their knowledge with a view to career advancement or moving laterally to another discipline within the industry,
- Professionals working in aircraft leasing companies or airlines,
- Contract administrators and engineers,
- Professionals in financial institutions that fund the purchase of aircraft,
- Accountants, finance professionals, and tax consultants advising aviation clients, and
- Insurance professionals specialising in aviation insurance.
It is not necessary to have prior experience or knowledge of the aviation industry in order to apply for this certificate. Those who have successfully completed the Certificate in Aviation Leasing and Finance will be eligible for a discount on their diploma application.
Sara Van den Bergh, Solicitor, Course Leader: S.VandenBergh@lawsociety.ie .
To register: Go to https://www.lawsociety.ie/productdetails?pid=2740